My love for Biriyani will never end.... At last i got the actual recipe so thought of sharing with u guys plzz do try..
Malabar Dum Chicken BiriyaniMy love for Biriyani will never end.... At last i got the actual recipe so thought of sharing with u guys plzz do try..Rasmi Viju
Bista (fried onions)
Bista (3/4 of fried onion)
Bista(rest of the fried onion)
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces.Wash and drain Jeerakashala rice(u can also use basmathi rice , jeerakashala rice is used in malabar Biryani preparation as the rice itself has a special flavour) .
- Heat oil and ghee in a kadai . Deep fry the onions until golden brown (also known as bista). In the remaining oil fry the cashew nut and raisins.
- Heat a deep heavy bottom dish. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook .Once the tomatoes start softening add the crushed ginger, garlic and green chilies and stir.
- When the raw smell fades add the cleaned chicken pieces and mix well. Add salt and chopped mint leaves. Cover and cook.
- When the chicken is half done, add 3/4 of the fried onions ,the spice powder (Biriyani masala is something you get at every local store if not roast and grind spices given under the biriyani masala ingredients).
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves and stir well. Let it simmer until the gravy thickens. Turn off the stove.
- Keep a pan on the stove and add ghee .
Add the drained rice and fry for few minutes .
Add salt and and water (ration :1 cup rice =2 cup water ) to
- Add the whole spices and lemon juice to the water, bring the flame to a simmer, lid the pan and cook till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. This will take about 5 mintues then turn of the stove and let it rest for 10 mints .
- Add few saffron strands to 3 tablespoons of warm milk.
- Dum procedure :-Spread 1/2 of the rice evenly over the chicken curry .Sprinkle some garam masala , fried onions,coriander leaves, cashews and raisins over it and also some the saffron milk. Spread the remaining rice and sprinkle the left over toppings.
- Make a dough out of maida (like what u do for chappathi). Close the vessel and seal the edges of the lid with this dough ,with no air passage.
- Leave it on the gas stove on low flame .Traditionally u put coal on top of then biriyani vessel as heat has to come from both sides. I didn't have that option so i boiled some water and kept the hot vessel on top. Do this for almost 20 mints..
- Open the lid and combine well .Yummy Malabar biriyani is ready to serve . For best taste serve it with coconut chammanthi, pappadam and dates pickle.